Sunday 31 August 2014

Denim Skirt re make

This is the skirt I made earlier this Summer. I was very pleased with it but after a couple of wearing, I felt the waistband was too tight, it wasn't comfortable plus the band was too high.
 Knowing that if I did any changes, I would leave marks when any of the seams were removed. Should I - shouldn't I. I jumped in the deep end, took of the waistband and removed the back darts. Working with steam, a damp cloth, a "ham" and pins. I started pressing. At first, I just pressed the dart over the ham. While the fabric was still damp I stretch it and held the area  taught with pins and pressed again. After I had released the pins I continued to stretch the damp fabric. That helped pull the white denim threads back into place.                 With caution I trimmed the front then  I cut a new curved facing type waistband.


I really pleased with the results.
Its very comfortable and rides lower on my hips.
I've come to the conclusion, its better to do a re-sew than have someting that is taking up closet space and not being worn.


1 comment:

  1. I agree with your conclusion. No point in it just taking up real estate! You will have to report back after it's been laundered to see if the stretching "took".

    ReplyDelete