Friday 8 August 2014

Larger than life!

Note to self: Do not leave scarey things out side the bedroom door so it is the first thing you see when you open the door heading for the bathroom!

Dora needed a neck shield. Little ones could look up and see the neck of the person wearing the costume and could spoil the illusion.  (There is a helmet inside the head which supports and takes the weight of Dora's head,  it does not rest on the shoulders.) 
 So it was decided to attached some form of neck/collar "dickie".  I had some swimsuit lining which costume makers use as flesh tones  for figure skaters and dancers to denote bare skin but still has substance and support for their performance costumes.

I measured the diameter of Dora's 'neck', approximately 38"  I cut the fabric , a rectangle 38"x13". The seam was set at the back and quartered to the sides and front.   The rest was hand work.  Dora is ridged and soft. I had to use a small upholstery curved needle to sew the shield to the inside edge. When the head is in place the shield falls on to the shoulders and can actually go over the shoulders.
I will have to do some final adjustments when I fit it with the rest of the costume.  Dora's off to her first parade on Saturday. 

1 comment:

  1. LOL yes that would scare the bejeebers out of me too! I think that dickie is the answer. Good fix.

    ReplyDelete